News:

Now Available For Free (honour system).

Main Menu

Install wants SPSS Dimensions Component Pack 3.5

Started by philipb, 29 October, 2007, 12:09:26 AM

« previous - next »

Dev

Excellent news. I think it was SPSS wanting their CD put in and installation of that component. Who knows why.
Best,
Dev

EDIT: ps. Thanks to Chad Mackenzie of SPSS for helping out.
I am logged on, therefore I am.

philipb

Dev;

Success - I did do 3 things so I'm not sure what the critical solution is:

1. I first installed SPSS Dimensions 3.5;

2. I uninstalled ClinTools;

3. I downloaed & installed V4.1

No error messages.

Thanks;

Philip

Dev

This just in from SPSS. Let me know if this fixes the problem.
Best,
Dev
---------------

HI,

Found the info on the Forum

I would suggest installing the component from the SPSS CD. This should not affect your system.

Regards,

Technical Support
SPSS Inc.

Dev

Hi Philip,

OK. I'll contact SPSS and see what they say. I think this might be a bad SPSS install, but will check with them. Do you get this problem on your home computer too? Clintools allows for people to have a copy on their work and home computers under the same registration (and laptop - if that is a different machine to your work desktop).

I'll get back to you.

Dev

philipb

Hi Dev;

Uninstalled, reinstalled & registered. Still wants SPSS Dim pack ...

Thanks but;

Philip

Dev

Hi Philip,

I'm sorry you're having this problem. I've been onto SPSS's website to find out what the Dimensions Component Pack 3.5 is and have found the below (PR - no useful info on the programming). Therefore, I'm contacting SPSS and asking them what's going on here. I have a sneaking suspicion that SPSS might use the same part of the registry as Clintools yet hasn't declared it. I'm going to email you a password to see if it is the version checking which is causing a problem and will also email SPSS once you get back to me to see if it works OK once registered.

Best,

Dev

----------------
Dimensions Component Pack - Streamline Scripting and Data Management

Increase your organization's efficiency by running scripting and data management tasks on a server, using the Dimensions Component Pack.

You benefit from the Dimensions Component Pack if you have large, complex projects and want to place data management tasks on a high-powered server. Or if you want to schedule automated batch processing of complex or repetitive tasks, or create a centralized processing facility for a number of employees. Schedule large jobs to run after hours and, during the workday, free scriptwriters and programmers to work on other tasks on their client PCs, as routine steps are carried out behind the scenes.

The Dimensions Component Pack incorporates scripting capabilities and several key data management components of mrStudio. You can perform a number of critical tasks on a server, using the Dimensions Component Pack, including:

* Manage data transformation operations, such as the cleaning, validating, and exporting of sample data, and the reporting of case data
    * Produce and export tables
    * Create and assign weighting to your data
    * Run scripting utilities

The Dimensions Component Pack is part of the Dimensions survey research platform. All Dimensions products are designed to work with each other for seamless survey research.

philipb

Dev;

Tried all 3 ideas:

1. Uninstalled, reinstalled - same SPSS Dim Comp Pacl 3.5 msg - worked around by cancelling and like last time works ok;

2. Tried both the launch pad and the individual progs - same problem; same work around.

3. Did the check sum on the file - no problem (check sum as it should be ..)

Who knows. I run a fairly basic set up (XP Office Pro, SPSS, some other stuff but nothing outside of a Windows env)

I do have admiistrator rights too ....

Thanks for hunting.

Cheers;

Philip

Dev

Just to make sure your download is correct: Download our CRC checker

http://www.clintools.com/download/CRC-Checker.exe

Run this programme and point it at the newly downloaded version of Clintools. The current version (ClinTools41-Vista-Support-Locked.exe) should read:

"DONE! This is a 19,678,247 byte file. CRC32 checksum is 2EC1BCA9"

if it doesn't, then the clintools download is corrupt and why it is asking for CD2 (Just download the programme again). I will update the webpage CRC first thing in the morning.

Cheers,

Dev

Dev

Hi Philip - welcome to the clintools forum.

Regarding this issue - I'm at a loss. I run SPSS 15 too and don't get this. I have a few suggestions:

1. The most likely problem is a corrupt installation. Uninstall ClinTools, download a new version from the website (make sure it's a new download) and install that and see what happens. Make sure you uninstall the old version first.

2. If the problem occurs from the clintools launch pad (the programme with the white brain icon), try running one of the elements individually (go to the clintools startup folder and then, say, to the effect size generator folder and run the effect size generator from there). Do you get the same problem?

Let me know how you go - my money is on 1 above for now.

Best,

Dev

ps. one more option - do you have administrator privileges? Many organisations (particularly Universities) don't give academics / users full access to install programmes.

philipb

I downloaed ClinTools V4.1 today. When I try to run the program, I get the Windows Installer prompt:

"Installing SPSS Dimensions Component Pack 3.5 - please install the CD / Disk etc...."

I use SPSS 15.0. I'm also running Windows XP SP 2.

IF I Cancel out of this loop (several times), ClinTools works (oor seems to).

Any ideas?

Philip